Calf reduction and definition: Univers NuFace solutions
Being overweight isn’t the only explanation for excessively large calves. In fact, water retention or exaggerated muscle contraction can also affect changes in calf size and definition.
As a medico-aesthetic clinic, Univers NuFace is committed to helping you achieve your goals. For this, we offer a complete range of treatments tailored to your needs.
Botulinum toxin: Botox injection
Botox is a medical prescription product frequently used in aesthetic medicine. Although more often used to minimize dynamic facial wrinkles, it is also used for medical purposes to relax certain muscles that are subject to involuntary or hypertrophied contractions.
As such, this method can be used to treat bruxism, as well as limit potential calf muscle contractions in this case. This will reduce excess muscle mass and therefore both define and reshape your calves.
Univers NuFace: practical advice
Oversized or poorly defined calves can be the result of two problems: excessive exertion or involuntary contraction resulting in excessive muscle or, conversely, excess weight resulting from weight gain and lack of exercise.
In the case of muscular calves
The following tips will help you prevent and reduce surplus muscle.
- Stretch after every physical effort. This will help muscles develop lengthwise rather than across the width. Muscles will therefore appear more slim and defined.
- Walk with your feet flat on the ground and avoid wearing high heels too often. Walking on your tiptoes forces the calf muscles to continually contract;
- Limit “explosive” sports such as sprinting or jumping rope. These promote significant muscle mass development. You can also favor swimming over running for regular physical activity;
- Consult a podiatrist to examine your gait and the shape of your feet. This may be the cause of excess effort exerted by your calves.
In the case of excessive calf fat
These recommendations run counter to the previous ones:
- Concentrate on exercises that activate your calves. You will eliminate excess fat while building your muscles. However, always make sure to stretch after exertion, otherwise muscles will develop across the width rather than the length and you will see little visual improvement;
- Watch your diet and avoid products with too much fat or salt. This will help you lose excess weight and reduce your risk of water retention;
- Avoid staying in the same position for extended periods of time, as this interferes with blood circulation and can cause dilation of vessels and varicose veins and generally increase the size of your leg muscles.